I've released my site onto Hacker News, and I am anticipating strong negative feedback. Mostly in the lack of depth of my site and the unviability of my business idea. It may look like a veiled attempt at collecting e-mails, but it really isn't. It's my first app in Meteor and I want it to be good. In any case, I need to remember I should FAIL FORWARD.
Any criticism I get, I will take and see it as an instruction for how to proceed with the next project.
Anyway, let's get to this week's evaluation.
Last Week's Goals
Take a look at some of the design-based Instagram accounts
- I don't look at these as much as I would like to though
- Plot out my morning routine, at least the first couple hours of it
- Massive fail
- I need to write this on my whiteboard
Publish two posts on my personal blog
- I almost didn't make it, I need to copy and paste each week's goals into the beginning of every day's blog post to keep myself reminded of my weekly goals
- Felt pretty good
- Could've done more, maybe added a commenting system? Although the whole accounts thing threw me off quite a bit.
- Exercised and ran every morning
- Completed b4YouGo.net
- Bought domain
- Setup e-mail and e-mail collection
- Added Google Analytics
- Sleeping earlier; waking up on time
- Do not get stuck in trying a bunch of pre-built solutions
- Sometimes you just have to buckle down and do it the old-fashioned way
- If you get depressed or discouraged, reach out to a friend or an online community
- Do not get cornered into giving yourself this ONE task. If you really can't get that task done, maybe it's because there are more worthwhile tasks to be done.
- I should've spent more time working on creating an effective landing page rather than learning the login system
- I can learn the login system afterwards anyway
- Copy and paste every week's goals into the top of each daily blog post
- Whiteboard discipline
- Plot out the first few hours of my day on the whiteboard every night
- I must write down the actual TIME I would go and do my run
- Do NOT sleep past 10pm
- Think about how to use sites like niice or http://designspiration.net/ to create a Spotify or TV-like service
- I want to be able to glance at these pretty things when I'm bored, kinda like having a TV in the background
- I want to do this to develop taste, because I don't really use Instagram as much as a lot of other people do
- Observe b4yougo.net and continue releasing it and following already released channels
- Build a login/accounts system into the boilerplate